Friday, August 23, 2013

Don't Count Me Out!

My amazing son Matthew has Sensory Processing Disorder. He is so smart, but struggles in school because he learns differently.  Consequently, he can really struggle with feelings of self-worth... "I'm dumb, mom."  "I can't do this."  It breaks my heart and we work constantly to shore up his self-esteem.

We've been incredibly blessed to have teacher's in our son's life that understand Matthew and help him achieve and learn.  But it's still a constant struggle to navigate through the system and to try and figure out what is best for Matthew.

Now, it's a little easier with a wonderful book called Don't Count Me Out

Don't Count Me Out! is a book for parents by Barbara Dianis, which helps them get their children (more specifically children with ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, and other special needs) organized for the school year with the right tools for academic success.

I've been doing this awhile (my son is 14) and have tried to find out everything I can to help him.  I considered myself fairly well-read on how to help my son.  I was pleasantly surprised how much I learned from this book!  Some of my favorite (and very under-lined) chapters were "Why Do Some Students Find Their Intelligence Overlooked?", and "Which Battles Should I Fight? When Meltdowns Occur Too Often".  Both those had such great helps for me.

Then there is a whole other book within this book about how to help your child through each grade.  It talks about social and educational issues for each age group and gives some solutions to things your student may be struggling with.  I loved the part where it started talking about college, something I'd never even considered for my son, but thanks to Don't Count Me Out! I now know that there are programs and universities out there that will help my son succeed in college.  A whole new world opened up for both of us!

I've loved this book and seem to be all the time telling someone about something I've read.  This book is now on the top shelf of my must have books!

I encourage you to check it out.  Even if you don't have a child with special needs, there are still some wonderful tips and strategies to help your child succeed!

Disclosure:  I received this book for the purpose of a review.  The opinions are all my own and free of charge!

0 Responses to "Don't Count Me Out!"

Post a Comment