Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Places Everyone!



Thank you to P&G’s Have You Tried This Yet? program and Kroger for sponsoring my writing about trying new things and breaking out of my everyday routine. Click here to find great savings on high-performing P&G products at a Kroger store near you. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.

So, on with the story!

"You want me to do what?  Yeah, right,"  That was my response when my wonderful friend Crystal asked me to audition for our local community theater's production of Music Man.  I didn't even know our community had a theater, let alone put on productions until Crystal asked me to come watch her daughter in their first production of Annie.  The production I saw was amazing!  The sets were amazing, the costumes were amazing, the actors were amazing!  And now Crystal wanted me to audition for the next show?  Had she slipped the bounds of sanity?

Let me give you some insight.  I love to play the piano, but get incredibly nervous when asked to perform for people (hands profusely sweating does not make for a good piano performance, just saying).  Add to that fact, that I may be a teensy bit overweight, okay... okay... more than a teensy bit.  So getting up on stage for all to judge my imperfections was not on my top ten list of things to do!

To this day I don't know how she convinced me but somehow I found myself at auditions.  I had to sing a song in front of strangers, I had to learn a dance and then perform it... in front of strangers.  I had to do a short reading from the script... in front of strangers.  I remember the director staring at me stony faced as I stumbled my way through the reading.  She gave one bark of laughter, then quickly dropped back into that scary stare.

I stumbled out of the audition room sure I had just made a complete fool of myself.  Though embarrassed, I was also proud of myself that I faced my fears, stepped out of my comfort zone and tried something new!

How did it end, you ask?  I got a lead role!  Can you believe it?  Overweight, insecure me, got a lead role!  I loved the experience of being on stage, and yes, the applause is such an overwhelming feeling of joy!

That was seven years ago.  Since then I've acted in many more plays.  I even got to be the Fairy Godmother in Cinderella, and the Lion from the Wizard of Oz.  But it hasn't stopped there.  I've costumed entire shows, built sets, made props, music directed, produced and even directed several of our productions.  One of the  children's productions I directed had over 135 kids in the cast!

That one simple act of stepping out of my shell, and up onto that stage was life-changing.  I've discovered talents and abilities I never knew I had... and never would have known if I hadn't taken that step.  Most importantly, I've discovered self-confidence.  I discovered me!  Now my goal is to help others  take that first step... you never know where it will lead!

Places, everyone.... and, action!

0 Responses to "Places Everyone!"

Post a Comment