Thursday, December 25, 2014

Into the Woods

I admit freely that I'm a huge fan of musical theater!  Name a play and I can probably sing a song from it!  So when I heard "Into The Woods" was being made into a movie, well I was thrilled!

I was giddy with excitement on the way to see this movie and it did not disappoint!  I was enthralled from the opening to the ending credits.  Though, I did have to giggle... on the way out I overhead another movie goer exclaim that there was entirely too much singing in the movie.  Someone should have warned her that a musical involves singing.  So be forewarned, this is a musical and everyone sings. 

So what is "Into The Woods" about?

From Disney:  "Into the Woods” is a modern twist on several beloved fairy tales, intertwining the plots of a few choice stories and exploring the consequences of the characters’ wishes and quests. This humorous and heartfelt musical follows the classic tales of Cinderella (Anna Kendrick), Little Red Riding Hood (Lilla Crawford), Jack and the Beanstalk (Daniel Huttlestone), and Rapunzel (MacKenzie Mauzy), all tied together by an original story involving a Baker and his Wife (James Corden and Emily Blunt), their wish to begin a family and their interaction with the Witch (Meryl Streep), who has put a curse on them."




Some of my favorite moments were Johnny Depp as the wolf.  He did an amazing job!  Watching Chris Pine as Prince Charming.  Not only a feast for the eyes, but he did an amazing job portraying a charming prince.  The song "Prince's Lament" was probably my favorite part of the movie!  It was hilarious!  And of course, Meryl Streep as the witch!  She was flawless!

Into the Woods was gorgeous visually!  Here's some fun facts about the set.  Did you know that the set was built on Stage H at Shepperton Studios, and made up of 2,000 tons of soil, over 600 ferns, acres and acres of ivy and countless pallets of moss and turf.  95% of the trees used on the Wood set were real trees, including 30-foot pine trees and hundreds of 25 foot oak tree branches.  The leaves were removed and replaced with artificial ones so they would last longer.  Oh yeah, and Rapunzel's hair in the film is 20 feet long and made with real hair!

So, to sum up I loved this movie!  Loved the acting, loved the story, loved the singing and loved the moral... Be Careful What You Wish For.

Disclosure:  I was given the opportunity to see this movie for the purpose of a review.  The opinions are all my own and free of charge!

0 Responses to "Into the Woods"

Post a Comment