Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Harlequin Books - Who Knew?

Did you know that Harlequin published books other than romance?  I didn't either.... but they do!  Harlequin very generously sent me two books to review and I really enjoyed both of them!

The first book is called A Homemade Christmas.  I love Christmas and all the it enbodies!  I love the spirit of giving and all the joy this season brings.  But, at times it can be overwhelming and expensive.  This book helps.  It has great ideas on how to make your Christmas more frugal and a little more earth-friendly.  I love the idea of gifts from the heart made with your own hands.

Author Tina Barseghian offers easy-to-follow how-tos for Christmas projects, delicious recipes, and tips to make this Christmas your most memorable yet.  The thing I enjoyed most about this book is it is divided into sections and is easy to read.  You don't have to do it in one sitting.  You can skip to the section you're most interested in and find some great ideas.  Though, I have to warn you... you'll get sucked into the book and find yourself perusing all the sections!  It's a great book, and I definitely recommend it!

This book touched my heart and really spoke to me.  Some of you know that we have two dogs that we rescued.  Though I would debate on who rescued who.  Last night I curled up in the big chair in our bedroom with this book.  As I was re-reading some of the stories in it, I heard our dogs outside.  Since it is finally cooling down at night, I had the bedroom window opened.  My dogs will come and lay just outside the window whenever I'm in the room.  They just like to be nearby, watching, and loving.  Our dogs love to be outside so it's the best of both worlds for them.  Outside in the cool air, but still near their "people".    As I read the stories in this wonderful book, it evoked memories of our wonderful dogs.  They are such a part of our lives, and a part of our family!  I swear my son has three mothers, me... and our two dogs!

The Dog Who Healed A  Family and Other True Animal Stories That Warm the Heart and Touch the Soul is filled with stores about not-so-ordinary household pets.  Like the German shepherd adopted by a teenager with terminal cancer who outlives the boy and becomes a "Good Shepherd" for many other children suffering chronic and life-threatening diseases.  There's the miniature pig named Pigger who helped its' owner conquer agoraphobia  (a fear of open spaces and crowds) and touch many other lives.

Be warned.... if you're a softy like me, this book will have you in tears.  Tears of warmth, and love, and gratitude not only for the animals in the book, but for the animals in my life.  Even that dang mutant goldfish swimming around in the big tank in the family room (that's a story for another day)!

Thanks Harlequin for these wonderful books.  A big "thumbs up" for both!
Now, everyone... get busy reading!

Disclosure:  Harlequin provided this books free of charge for the purpose of a review.  The opinions expressed are all my own and free of charge!

0 Responses to "Harlequin Books - Who Knew?"

Post a Comment